Frequently Asked Questions

Rental Assistance

What do I need to start Recieving Rental Assistance?

Once application is processed and approved, you will need W-9 & Request for Lease Approval from Landlord

What Tribes recieve Rental Assistance?

Berry Creek, Guidiville, Hopland, ManchesterPoint Arena, RedwoodValley, Sherwood

Who are the NCIHA member Tribes?

  • Berry Creek Rancheria
  • Guidiville Rancheria
  • Hopland Rancheria
  • Manchester/Point Arena Rancheria
  • Mooretown Rancheria
  • Redwood Valley Rancheria
  • Sherwood Valley Rancheria

What is Fair Market Rent?

HUD average rent for local area.

What do I do when a person moves out of the rental unit?

You need to fill out a “Removing Member(s) from Household” form and turn into NCIHA.

What if someone moved into the rental unit, what do I do?

You would have to fill out an “Adding Member(s) to Household” form and report any income that the new member(s) have so NCIHA can verify the income.

What if I want to move?

You would have to turn in a written 30 day notice to NCIHA, this can be a copy of the notice that you gave to your landlord. Also, when you find a new rental unit the landlord needs to fill out a W-9 and Request for Lease Approval in order to transfer subsidy and to cut a check.

Does NCIHA pay for the Pet Deposit?

NCIHA will only pay for 1st months and last month’s rent along with the deposit, this amount for move in costs varies.

Do I have to fill out an application to get move in costs?

If you are on the Rental Assistance and move in costs is available to you, you do not have to fill out an application. If you are requesting a onetime payment under the Emergency Assistance or Move-In costs program, the requester is required to fill out the appropriate application.

Which tribes have Emergency Assistance available to their tribal members?

Hopland Rancheria and Manchester/Pt. Arena. Redwood Valley Rancheria has a one-time payment for move-in costs.

If I am a participant on the Rental Assistance Program, can I still apply for Onsite Housing?

Yes, you can apply for the Onsite Housing program but if you are chosen to be added on the Onsite Housing you would have to choose between Onsite and Rental Assistance. The only exception would be if you are a Manchester/Pt. Arena tribal member, you can only choose one program and it is a once in a lifetime.

If I live in a rental unit and I believe it is dangerous to live in, what can NCIHA do for me?

NCIHA can send a letter to notify the landlord that the rental unit needs to meet the Housing Quality Standards. Unfortunately if the participant feels that the rental unit is too dangerous to live in, NCIHA would have to stop subsidy until the participant has someone to fix the problem or if they find another place to move in. NCIHA would have to stop subsidy because if the rental unit is too dangerous to live in it would not meet the housing quality standards.

Occupancy and Collections FAQ’s

I need to make a house payment but I don’t have a payment coupon.

Call the NCIHA office and request a replacement coupon. 
We can mail one to you or you can pick up at the NCIHA
office (if local).

Can I pay without a payment coupon?

No.  NCIHA mails each tenant a 3-part payment coupon eachmonth, you must use this payment coupon when paying your rent.  Submit the white and yellow copy to the bank, the pink slip is your copy.

Can I pay my rent at Wells Fargo Bank nearest to where I live?

No, you must send your payment along with your payment
coupon to the Wells Fargo Bank in Ukiah.  We send you an envelope addressed to this specific branch each month with your payment coupon.

What shall I do when I have a loss in income?

Notify NCIHA of your situation, your rent will be reduced.

If I paid after the 10th and did not include my late charge, what happens?

If your rent is not paid in full by the 10th of the month, you will receive a Delinquency Notice.  If any rent remains unpaid by the 25th of the same month, you will receive a Termination Notice. 

What is the Collections Hearing Panel and do I have to attend their meeting?

The CHP is a group of three NCIHA Commissioners that meet each month to approve repayment agreements.  If you received a Termination Notice it would include a date and time to meet with the Panel.  If you have paid your rent by the meeting date, there is no need to attend the meeting.  If you choose not to request a repayment agreement, which is optional, and your account remains unpaid, you will receive a Notice of Decision.  This notice is just another way of alerting you of your delinquent status.

How does the repayment agreement work?

You would appear before the panel to request a repayment agreement because you are unable to pay all of your rent, or other debt, in full. The terms of the agreement would not extend beyond a 12 month period.  This means your current balance would be divided by 12, this would be the amount you would repay each month (minimum amount is $25/month).  You would also be agreeing to pay your regular month rent on time in addition to your agreed upon repay amount.  Payment is due no later than the 10th of the month.  If you do not pay as agreed you would revert back into the termination process. 

What shall I do when I have a loss in income?

Notify NCIHA of your situation, your rent will be reduced.

What is the process for adding or removing family members from my household?

Notify NCIHA of the changes in your family composition.  If you want to add family members, you will be sent a set of forms that needs to be completed and returned to NCIHA.  Also, if someone has moved from your home, we will also request that you sign a form which states that person is no longer residing in your home.  If person had income, it will be removed.

If I was a former resident of NCIHA and I moved without paying all of my rent, would I ever be able to move back into a NCIHA home?

All debts would have to paid, prior to approval of application.  Once a tenant moves, the maintenance department crew will prepare the home for the next occupant.  If there were tenant caused damages to the home, those debts will be assessed to the former tenant.  Repayment agreements can be requested and would be reviewed/approved by the Collections Hearing Panel.


What should I do if I have a housing emergency over the weekend ?
(ex: frozen pipes, no heat during winter months, etc.)

Contact NCIHA, select extension 131 (Maintenance Manager) you will be given an emergency contact number.

I need home repairs, will I have to pay for it?

Only if the repairs/damages are caused by the tenant, household member or visitor(s).  See policy “Rental Maintenance Policy rev 6-12 1.C” or refer to Tenant Charge List

What should I do if an appliance stop working?

Contact the maintenance department, if the appliance cannot be fixed it will be   replaced.  If components (shelving, door handles, veggie tray etc) need to be replaced due to tenant caused damages, the tenant will be charged.

Can I use my own appliances?

Yes. Contact the maintenance department and we will schedule to pick-up the appliances you will not be using.

What if I lose my house keys?

Contact the Maintenance Department to request a copy of your house key, there is a charge of $15.00 plus the cost of time.

What if I smell gas?

FOR NATURAL GAS-if you smell gas or suspect a possible natural gas leak, go to a safe location and immediately call 911 and PG&E at 1-800-743-5000. For further information go to the PG&E site at:

For safety reasons, PG&E adds a sulfur-like rotten egg smell to natural gas. If you detect this odor make sure to follow these basic safety steps:

  • Keep a flashlight handy to investigate minor gas odors
  • Never use matches or candles to look for gas leaks and never turn any electric switches on or off if you suspect a gas leak
  • Check pilot lights to see if they are lit
  • If the smell of gas continues or if you have any doubts, open windows and doors and get everyone out of the building
  • Using a phone away from the building, call 9-1-1- and PG&E at 1-800-743-500

Remember:  Never attempt to handle the problem yourself, only PG&E crews are qualified to turn gas valves or restore neighborhood or household service           


  • NO FLAMES OR SPARKS!  Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames.  Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones.  Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or fire
  • LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY!  Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking
  • SHUT OFF THE GAS.  Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so.  To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise)
  • REPORT THE LEAK.  From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane retailer right away.  If you can’t reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fire department
  • DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until your propane retailer determines that it is safe to do so
  • GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED.  Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure it is leak-free.

For further details refer to Suburban Propane


I am Native American; can I apply for rehab and new construction with NCIHA?

Currently, NCIHA member tribes include Mooretown, Berry Cree k, Sherwood Valley, Redwood Valley, Guidiville, Hopland and Manchester Pt. Arena. Services are available to members of these tribes only.

Each Tribe establishes their own programs /guidelines within NCIHA so each Tribes program may be different. We’d be happy to let you know which programs are currently open and offered by your tribe.

Once my application is submitted what happens next?

Depending on each Tribe’s selection criteria, funding availability and service area, NCIHA will notify the tribe of applications submitted. Once NCIHA receives approval or non-approval we will contact the homeowner with those results. If approved, NCIHA will coordinate the details of the project.


The Construction Department addresses many types of projects within our program. If you find that you have a question, and are seeking clarification, we encourage you to call us so we may explain the process to our applicants so they can be prepared and knowledgeable about their Tribe’s policy requirements.

Construction FAQ's for Contractors

Can I bid on a project with NCIHA, and if so, how do I get on a contractor’s bid list?

Yes, licensed contractors may bid on our projects and may get on the contractors list by calling the Construction Department. We will notify you of our requirements and send you bid packets for projects as they come up.

How can I inquire about Native Preference?

Contact the Construction Department for the Indian Enterprise Qualification Statement form or you can fill one out at the time you submit your bid.

Can I be paid before the job is completed? And how long will I have to wait?

Depending on the size of the project and duration of the project, payment methods vary. Please contact the Construction Department for information about the project you are inquiring about. We can provide you specific information about payment requirements.



@2013 Northern Circle Indian Housing Authority. All rights reserved

694 Pinoleville Drive, Ukiah CA 95482, (707) 468-1336, Fax (707) 468-5615